Blog

Share:

Now that you have your Bite-Lite® Candles – Important Tips To Remember

FAQ’s on burning candles: Bite-Lite® Natural Mosquito Repellent Candles are meant to be burned outdoors.   But you will find that outdoor temperatures have a profound effect on the way any candles burn outside, as well as how the melted wax pool forms.   As a result, we at Bite-Lite® would like to offer the following tips:

  • Always keep the wick trimmed to approximately ¼ – ½ inches long.
  • Always burn the candle long enough for the wax pool to extend close to, or to the edges of the container (to avoid forming a small well in which the melting wax can drown the wick).   This is especially important on cool days.
  • If the wick becomes covered in wax and extinguishes, allow the wax to cool and dig out the entire surface of the candle re-exposing ½ “ of wick.
  • When the wick becomes too short, the resulting flame will give unsatisfactory burning.   You may try extinguishing the flame and carefully pour off the liquid wax (outdoors, or into a trash container).   Re-light the candle; allow it to burn for about one hour.   If the flame is still too small repeat process until the flame is able to continue to burn the wax it has melted with a normal flame size.
  • On hot days, watch for the wax pool getting too deep.   If there is a melted pool more than ½ ” deep for the entire width of the candle, put the candle out and allow it to cool.


Safety Tips:

  • Always place candle on a heat resistant surface and away from combustible materials.
  • Discontinue use when the wax level is ½ “ from the bottom of the candle.
  • Be careful handling hot burning candles, and mindful of hot melted wax.
  • Glass containers are fragile and heat concentrated in one area could cause the glass to break.
  • Votive candles must be burned in a container.


What can I expect when using Bite-Lite® Natural Repellent Candles?
No mosquito control candle will give 100% protection; however, when using an appropriate number of candles (minimum 2-3) for the area, you should achieve a significant reduction in the number of mosquito landings approaching 75-80%.


How do I use Bite‑Lite® Natural Repellent Candles?
For best results, it is important to light the candles 20 minutes before going outside.   It is best to light at least 2-3 candles to protect the area that you’ll be occupying; more for larger groups of people.   Also, all repellent candles are most effective when there is little or no wind to quickly disperse the repellent.   If there is wind, be sure the vapors from the candles are between you and the mosquitoes.   The Spearmint and Lemongrass Oils are released from the candles by evaporation from the hot, melted pool of wax that forms while the candle is burning. (Note: The oils in Bite-Lite natural repellents are not released from the flame.)
Most mosquitoes rest during the day and come out at dusk.   If the repellent candles are burned before you go outdoors or before the mosquitoes become active, they may move away from the space you are trying to protect and not find their way back easily when you go outside.   Mosquitoes find you most easily if they’re already close and can sense your heat signature.


These are just some of the tips from our FAQ page that you should be aware of when using our candles to prolong the effectiveness of your candles, along with basic safety reminders.   Read more information about Bite-Lite natural repellents on FAQ’s.

 

Bite-Lite LLC    •   211 Greenwood Ave, Building 2-2 Suite 102    •    Bethel, Connecticut 06801 USA
Phone: 855-BITE-LITE (855-248-3548)   •   E-mail: orders@bite-lite.com    •   Contact Customer Service    •   Fax: 877.865.1048

Terms & Conditions   |   Privacy Policy   |   Return and Refund Policy   |   Payments & Processing Time

Copyright © Bite-Lite. All Rights Reserved.   |   Website By Modern Web Studios
Natural Mosquito Repellent Candles